In the first and second parts of the article you read about Nesvizh and Mir, now I will tell about Ruzhany - the urban settlement of the Brest region, with a population of about 3500 people.
It is located 140 km from Brest and 240 km from Minsk. For the first time Rougans are mentioned in 1490.
Since 1552, the Tyszkiewicz began to own the Ruzhany.
Tyszkiewicz - the genus of the Principality of Lithuania, woreTitle of graphs. After the Tyszkiewicz, the Ruzhany crossed over to the Bruchalski family. Bruchalskie, in 1598 they sold the estate to the Chancellor of the Principality of Lithuania - Lev Sapega. For Sapega Ruzhany became his personal residence. During the reign of the Sapegs the Ruzhany began to develop rapidly - over 400 households, two plants, a church and a church, a Basilian school and two monasteries appeared.
What to visit in Ruzhany
Business card Roujan - The Castle of Sapieha (Ruzhany Castle). Ruzhany Castle was built by Lion Sapega,References to the construction date back to 1602, but the construction itself began a little earlier. His residence Sapeg built on the site of the castle Tyszkiewicz. The residence was to become an impregnable castle, which would be fortified by three towers. The building was two-story, under the castle were impressive cellars. They kept weapons, food, gold, important state documents, the treasury of the principality, the archives of the clan.
Lev Sapieha made the Ruzhany Castle the centerPolitical life of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. Here the fates of people and countries were decided, conspiracies were being prepared. In 1603, the Polish-Lithuanian campaign against the Moscow Principality was prepared in the castle, then Frazdmitry came to Ruzhany.
Over the years, the castle has learned and moments of ruin, andMoments of glory. The descendant of Lev Sapieha, Alexander, rebuilt the castle with such success that it was called "Belarusian Versailles". After the reign of Sapieha, in 1786, the castle was leased. It housed a weaving workshop and worked there for more than 100 years. In 1944 the castle was completely destroyed. It took huge funds to restore the castle, and for many years it was abandoned and forgotten. Only in 2008, began a large-scale restoration, now only a part of the castle has been restored - two wings and entrance brama. In one of the outhouses there is a museum.
Like every castle with a centuries-old history,Ruzhansky also has his own legends. It's even good that we managed to see the castle before its complete restoration - as if we managed to touch a little the secrets of the people who lived there.
Holy Trinity Church of the Dominicans- Catholic church built on the order of LeoSapieha in 1596. Then the church was wooden. Later, in 1615-1617, in its place was built, a new, stone. From 1768 to 1787, two extensions were made: on the left is the chapel of the Holy Cross, on the right is the chapel of St. Barbara. Several times the church was reconstructed and restored after a fire. In the final version, the church architecture is distinguished by "restraint and asceticism, which are inherent in Catholicism."
Peter and Paul Church (Church of Saints Peter and Paul). PThe first mention of the church dates back to 1568,It says that a wooden church was built in honor of Saints Peter and Paul. But in 1675 in its place built a stone Uniate (Greek Catholic) temple. The Peter and Paul Church suffered more than once during the subsequent wars. In 1762, with the money of Christina Massalska of the Sapieha family, the temple was restored. In 1839 he was again transferred to the Orthodox. To date, the church has been functioning since 1992, since Sunday, a Sunday school has been opened.
In the center of Rouzhan is a wonderful square, inWhich has a monument to the heroes of the Great Patriotic War, a stone with a coat of arms and a stone built in memory of the villages burnt by the Nazis. Even in Ruzhany there is Church of St. Casimir (1792) and the building of the synagogue.